June 12, 2020
Omaha: Next Stop on Your Family Summer Vacation
There is no better way to get a taste for Midwestern life than in Omaha. The people here are notoriously friendly, and there is a surprising number of attractions in the city that appeal to visitors of all ages.
If Omaha is your next family summer vacation destination, then you will want to stay at a hotel that offers a sophisticated retreat from the busy days of your trip. Magnolia Omaha is located in the heart of downtown Omaha, offering you the best access to the city’s top attractions. It is the ideal place for families to rest up and get ready for endless days of vacation fun.
We have created this vacation guide specifically for families who want to make memories in Omaha. These tips will help you plan a fun-filled trip to our welcoming city.
Best Attractions in Omaha for Families with Young Children
Traveling with young children in tow requires a certain amount of creativity and a lot of patience. It’s important to know the best attractions in the city that are designed for kids under the age of 6. Families with young children find that these are some of the best places to visit during their summer vacation in Omaha:
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium — Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is one of the best family-friendly attractions in the region. It is loved by both locals and visitors alike and features a variety of attractions, including zoo exhibits, rides, animal encounters, and more. There are more than 30,000 animals at the zoo, so plan to spend a full day here.
- Omaha Children’s Museum — Families vacationing in Omaha love taking their kids to the Omaha Children’s Museum. This is a unique and innovative hands-on museum where young children can explore and learn on their own terms.
- Fun-Plex Omaha — Fun-Plex Omaha is a seasonal attraction that is open during the summer months, making it the perfect addition to a summer vacation itinerary. This theme park includes a water park with thrilling slides and giant pools as well as a kiddie ride area for its youngest visitors. There is also a miniature golf course and a go-kart track, making this an exciting option for families with kids of all ages.
Learn a Little More About the City: The Top Museums in Omaha
While every summer vacation should include plenty of fun, families who travel to Omaha should also make an effort to learn a little bit more during their time away. Fortunately, there are many interesting and inviting museums to explore in the city. These are the top museums for families to visit during their Omaha summer vacation:
- Joslyn Art Museum — The Joslyn Art Museum is a fine art museum that has engaging exhibits for people of all ages to explore. Older children and adults will appreciate the beauty of the art that is on display, while younger children can take part in programming that is designed specifically for them. Storytime sessions are perfect for preschoolers and toddlers, while teens may enjoy the drawing competitions that are hosted by the museum.
- Lauritzen Gardens — Lauritzen Gardens is an outdoor escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Families can spend endless hours soaking up the beauty of the plants that are on display. In addition, there are many programming options available throughout the summer months that allow children to experience this attraction in a relevant and relatable way.
- The Durham Museum — The Durham Museum is a museum that is located in a restored train station that pays homage to the history of Omaha. It is the perfect place for families to visit in order to learn more about the culture of the community. Families with children also love to get an old-fashioned milkshake at the soda shop located inside the museum.
Live Like a Local: Hidden Gems in Omaha
While all families like to hit up the most popular attractions in Omaha during their summer vacation, it is also important to experience life as a local. Those who want to get a true understanding of the flavor of Omaha will appreciate these hidden gems:
- Old Market — Old Market is the heart of the city, and where visitors will find they can experience daily life in Omaha. Sure, there are horse-drawn carriage rides that are mostly enjoyed by tourists, but there are also many small, local businesses run by residents who love sharing what Omaha is all about.
- Lake Zorinsky — Lake Zorinsky is a surprising find in Omaha because most people are not expecting to spend the day on the lake in the middle of this Midwestern metropolis. However, this pristine park is a favorite among locals and is the perfect place to go fishing, walk the trails, or play on the playground.
- Benson Park and Playground — Sometimes, children prefer a good, old-fashioned playground over a chaotic theme park or fragile museum. Benson Park and Playground is a favorite among local families, and they love to share this hidden gem with tourists. The extensive wood playground is fun for kids to explore, and the walking paths along the lagoon make for a peaceful, picturesque afternoon in Omaha.
The Most Delicious Restaurants to Dine at With Your Family
Whether you need a break for lunch or you want to celebrate a perfect day in the city with a delectable meal, you will want to know where to find the best restaurants for families in Omaha. We feel that these are a safe bet for any family who is enjoying a summer vacation in Omaha:
- The District — The District is the casual gathering spot located inside the Magnolia Omaha hotel. Guests love that they have a comfortable and relaxing space to eat right on-site, but even locals enjoy having craft cocktails and fresh meals at this restaurant. It is one of the best places for families to eat in downtown Omaha.
- Spaghetti Works — Spaghetti Works is a famous chain of Italian restaurants in Nebraska. Visitors to the city love the boundless bowls of pasta they can order, and there are plenty of kid-friendly menu items at the Omaha location. It is open for both lunch and dinner, which allows families to visit when it is most convenient for them.
- Railcar — Railcar is a local restaurant in Omaha that offers a cozy and thematic dining experience. Families appreciate the fact that the menu is filled with meals that are made with fresh, local ingredients. It is a fun place to unwind after a day of exploring in Omaha, largely because this restaurant offers something for everyone.
At Magnolia Omaha, our goal is to provide you and your family with a home away from home during your summer vacation. We offer premier amenities in a casual setting that includes a touch of elegance. It is the perfect place to rest and rejuvenate after a day filled with back-to-back activities and experiences.
For more information about the best things to do in Omaha and to book your summer vacation, contact us today.