Houston is an accommodating city for large or small groups. With more than 2.3 million residents and 667 square miles of land, there are plentiful indoor and outdoor activities that can accommodate large parties.
The best place to start is with a centrally located place for your stay in Houston. Nestled in a renovated circa-1926 newspaper building, Magnolia Houston offers plush accommodations in the heart of the city. There’s a 24-hour business center and ATM on-site, plus meeting rooms for corporate groups and limo/town car service that can be arranged at the front desk.
Here are five unique Houston experiences ideal for group trips.
- The Great Escape: Escape rooms have been a huge nationwide trend since the first one opened in Japan in 2007. By 2015, there were more than 2,800 escape rooms Put your teamwork to the test at Houston Escape Room, where teams of 4-8 people have one hour to solve the puzzles and free themselves from a locked room. Houston Escape Room has five unique challenges. Our favorite is Episode 4: Dark Side of The Moon, which involves finding the antidote for a colleague who’s been poisoned by an evil pharmaceutical company. Book it here.
- Animal Instincts: The award-winning Houston Zoo is divided into 11 sections, including a Children’s area and bird aviary. Stop by the African Forest to see Zuri the gorilla and Jack the giraffe play in the grasses of their savannah enclosure, or watch Indy the rhino roll in the mud to cool off on a hot day. Private parties and animal encounters can be scheduled for groups. You can also arrange a behind-the-scenes tour of the aquarium, sea lion pool or gorilla enclosure. Visit the Houston Zoo website to make a reservation.
- Two-Wheeled Tours: One of the easiest and most fun ways for a large group to see downtown Houston is cruising on a Segway. The motorized stand-up scooters let you cover a larger area in a smaller amount of time, and are appropriate for most ages and ability levels. Segway Tours of Houston offers four guided tour options focusing on areas or interests – for example, a graffiti mural tour of popular street art. Book your tour online.
- Food Fight: If dining out is your favorite part of a vacation, don’t miss out on the Downtown Culinary Tour. This three-hour guided walking tour takes visitors past Buffalo Bayou to the area of downtown that houses Market Square Park and Main Street, stopping for Tex-Mex, tapas and other nibbles along the way. You’ll need to purchase tickets in advance here. Note: This tour is 21-and-over only, and is offered most Saturdays in the cooler months. Afterwards, be sure to check out The Lounge, Magnolia Houston’s award-winning bar and restaurant.
- Race to the Finish: If your group is looking for a one-of-a-kind adventure, beeline for Driving Adventures at Houston’s GrandSport Speedway. On select weekends here, you can rent and drive a Ferrari Modena, Lamborghini Gallardo or Porsche 911 Carrera racecar at top speeds. With packages starting at $299 for 5 laps, this is more of a bucket list item than a casual outing. Have the need for speed on a smaller budget? Check out one of Houston’s numerous go-kart tracks.
Whether you’re traveling with a large family, attending a corporate retreat or in town for a bachelor party, rest assured there are dozens of group-friendly things to do just minutes away from Magnolia Houston. Play in town all day and night, then come back to our boutique hotel for a nightcap and to rest up in a luxurious bed for tomorrow’s activities. Call 713-221-0011 or book your stay with us online today.